Thursday 13 December 2012

Inside the Haiti Earthquake


You can choose your own role.


It took me 2 weeks to finish this game. My internet connection was so slow and with all the loading and buffering, I nearly gave up on playing this game. I even went to a cybercafé located at 1Borneo in order to finish this game. Stress level up. LOL.
My Reflection:
On Tuesday 12 January 2010, an earthquake with the magnitude of 7.0 Mw shakes the ground of Haiti. Many people were killed. Through this disaster, an application titled “Inside Haiti Earthquake” was created to give peoples chance to experience the disaster. There were 3 roles provided in this game which are the Survivor, the Aid-worker and the Journalist. I chose to take the role as a Survivor to learn how I would feel when the disaster happens to me. The videos, pictures and dialogues provided were from the real situations. Some videos and pictures may not suitable for the underage. This game teaches me to appreciate my life, my family and everything I have now.

Teaching using the Inside Haiti Earthquake game:
To teach using this game, we have to let the students experience the game first. Divide the class in to 3 groups. Each group take one role: the Survivor, the Aid-worker or the Journalist. This may take a long time depend on the internet connection. Teacher may ask the students to play the game before the class.
After finish playing the game, each group were required to create an essay describing what happen based on the role they have chosen. Pictures, videos and dialogues from the game could help them in creating the essay. This game also can help students in strengthen their vocabulary and grammar because of the word used in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment